Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Women of the Bible - The Bibliography

At times I have cited a few sources in these posts on Women of the Bible, and at time I should have but didn't. Here is a list of some of the more useful material:

  1. Finally Feminist, John G. Stackhouse, Jr., 2005
  2. Essays On Women in Earliest Christianity, Volume I, Edited By Carroll D. Osburn, PH. D., 1993
  3. Essays On Women in Earliest Christianity, Volume II, Edited By Carroll D. Osburn, PH. D., 1995
  4. Men and Women in the Church, Sarah Sumner, PH. D., 2003
  5. Bobby Valentine’s class on Huldah from the 2003 ACU Lectureships (audio)
  6. Bobby’s Blog: Huldah Who? The Forgotten Ministry of a Lady Prophet, June 27, 2006
  7. “The Ethical Use of I Timothy 2”, Bobby Valentine
  8. I permit not a woman...To Remain Shackled, Robert H. Rowland, 1991
  9. Mike Cope’s Sermon “Women, Gifts and the Body of Christ”
  10. “Women’s Service in the Church”, a sermon by N. T. Wright (transcript), 2004
  11. Howard Bryan, The Role of Women Class Notes
  12. Women of the Bible, Sue Poorman Richards and Lawrence O. Richards, 2003
  13. The Christian Courier
  14. The Logos Resource Pages
  15. Brooks Ave Church of Christ
  16. Minutes with Messiah

I think it is important to consider the best material from both sides of this debate. Unfortunately, I have not done enough of that myself. Sometimes I find it very difficult to listen to perspectives that are so contrary to my core values. I'm sure people on both sides of this fence feel this way at times, which is why we must approach this material with patience and love. It is not a salvation issue. It is a respect issue, a consistency issue, and a reaching-the-lost issue.

-Keith

No comments: