Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Mighty Women

Starting in March I will teach a class called "Mighty Women" at church using the material I've been blogging here. The following is my synopsis of the class:

At a VBS last year my kids sang a song where the boys would sing, “I want to be like Daniel…for Daniel was a mighty man.” And the girls would sing, “I want to be like Ruth…for Ruth was oh so good and kind.” It made me wonder, “Are boys NOT supposed to be good and kind? Are girls NOT supposed to be mighty?” What about our little girls who want to be more like Deborah than Ruth?

This class will examine the leadership of mighty women throughout the Bible. We will focus on the biblical and historical context of these leading ladies as we develop a broad, biblical view of female leadership.

Here is a tentative outline:

1. Introduction
2. Eve
3. The Matriarchs & Miriam
4. Deborah
5. Huldah
6. Esther
7. Mary, Mary and Mary (Nazareth, Bethany, Magdalene)
8. Priscilla
9. Lydia (Euodias & Syntyche and Nympha)
10. Phoebe and Junia
11. Luke & Women
12. Jesus & Women
13. Paul & Women

This is part one of a two-part class. In part one we will attempt to establish a broad view by investigating the lives of specific women throughout the Bible followed by looking at how Luke, Jesus and Paul viewed women relative to their contemporaries. We will not study 1 Tim 2, 1 Cor 11, 1 Cor 14 or Gal 5. Those texts and others will be included in the second class as I don't think they can be understood properly without first getting the big picture.

-Keith

6 comments:

Cheryl Russell said...

Sounds like a great study! We will be praying for you and the class! We can't wait to hear how it goes. I like your outline and that you are also going to study the frequently used passages in the second part. I have always felt like we should study all of the passages about women, not just two or three.

Keith said...

Indeed. The typical passages used to define women in the NT are not about defining women. Each of these passages is about something else (i.e. disruptive worship or even bringing pagan practices into the assembly of God's people). It is risky to try to glean from these passages something the passage is not primarily about. It is even more dangerous when the only discussion we have about these passages is the secondary discussion. We then completely lose sight of the intended message.

Tim Russell said...

One thing to add. I think for most people a good introductory discussion includes the following questions: Does this matter? Is this relevant today? Does this lead us to greater relationship with God or greater relationship with others?

I can vehemently say yes to all the above. This discussion does lead to a greater understanding of who God is and who Jesus was. How different could our relationship with our brother and sisters in Christ be if we would come to recognize women as equally gifted and used by God?

I don't know if you start the lessons with this, but I think it could be included somewhere. Kind of a, "OK, now what" class...

preacherman said...

Keith,
Excellent post brother.
I want you to know that I love reading your blog. You have grea things to say. I want you know I will be reading regularly when time allows. Keep up the wonderful work. I pray God's wonderful blessing on you, your family as you serve God.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry

Keith said...

Kinney,
Thanks for stopping by. I've started teaching a class at my church based on the material I've been posting here for the last few months. We've had two classes so far and an overwhelmingly positive response. Maybe the nay-sayers are just shy ;) I plan on several more posts on the subject in the coming weeks.
Looking forward to your feedback,
Keith

Joy said...

Hi i know you posted this over a year ago but dpo you have any notes from your study? i am starting up a ladies ministry in my church

Thanks Joy